- H to S
- Recreation Department
- Scholarship Information
The Grafton Recreation Department is dedicated to offering its programming at low costs to residents in order to define and increase the quality of life and is committed to making programs available to as many segments of the Grafton population as possible. One way this goal has been realized is through the development of this Scholarship Program and this Scholarship Policy.
A Scholarship Fund has been set up which will provide partial subsidies to eligible citizens for selected programs, as funds are available. Funding is supported by proceeds of the Grafton Gazebo Road Race, Grafton Celebrates the Holidays Craft Fair, and public donations. Scholarship requests are limited to up to 50% of one program fee per child per season. Scholarships may be issued for up to three weeks for summer programs with multiple sessions/weeks. Scholarships are not available for Trips or Special Events and some programs may not be eligible. These distinctions will be made at the behest of the Recreation Director.
Additional funding may be available via the Erin Coakley Scholarship, a subset of the Grafton Recreation Scholarship Fund, and funded by a private donation from the Coakley Family. The Coakley Family has made this donation in memory of their daughter Erin to allow children of the community of Grafton to enjoy the benefits of the outstanding summer programs provided by the Grafton Recreation Department. To anyone who knew Erin, her love of children and sports was immediately evident. She was an amazing woman who had an intense focus on the obligation to help others. She spent hours volunteering to help children of all needs, even working as a counselor for the Grafton Recreation Department and as a substitute teacher in the school system before she went back to school to study Physical Therapy. The community of Grafton was so good to Erin that the family felt it was only fitting to continue her commitment by helping children enjoy the benefits of Grafton Recreation's Programs. Eligible applicants who receive up to 50% funding through the Grafton Recreation Scholarship may be eligible for additional funding via the Coakley Scholarship. Awards and amount of funding will be determined by the Recreation Director based on available funds.
PLEASE HELP SUPPORT OUR MISSION AND MAKE A DONATION ONLINE HERE
Eligibility & Policies
Any Grafton resident may request a scholarship for a recreation program when a need exists. All scholarship requests must be made on the town's formal "Request for Scholarship" form. While each scholarship request will be evaluated individually, priority and preference will be given to scholarship requests for youth under the age of 18. No resident with an overdue balance will be granted a scholarship until that balance has been paid in full. Final approval will be given by the Director of Recreation or their designee. All requests must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Applicant must be a resident of Grafton.
- Requests must be submitted at least three weeks prior to the start of a program. Any late requests will not be considered. In the case of summer programs, requests must be submitted by February 1.
- Applicants will be required to submit proof of eligibility for financial assistance which will include proof of a household income below the threshold set by State and Federal regulations.
- Applicants may be required to attend a meeting with the Recreation Commission prior to approval of their request.
- Recreation personnel will use the information on the application only to decide if the applicant should receive a scholarship and to verify eligibility. All information given is not a matter of public record and will be kept in the strictest confidence.
- Submission of an application for a scholarship is not a confirmation of a scholarship. It is also not a program registration form. Upon approval of a scholarship, the applicant will be notified of how to register for the program.
- Notification will be made by email directly to the applicant within five business days.
- A payment schedule of fees due may be established for applicants in order to relieve the burden of full payment at one time. Payment must be made in full prior to the start of the program.
Download an Application Form and a Copy of the Policy (PDF).