Voter Registration & Absentee Voting

Visit the Secretary of the Commonwealth's Elections and Voting page for information regarding where to vote in Grafton. For information regarding how to vote when you arrive at the polls:

Accessible Voting Equipment & Voting

Both federal law and state requirements mandate that voting systems be equipped for voters with disabilities allowing such voters to have the same opportunity to vote privately and independently. It is required that every precinct must have at least one accessible voting machine available.

There is at least one accessible marking unit in every polling place in Massachusetts. The AutoMARK Voter Assist Terminals are marking devices that use audio cue capacity for visually impaired voters. The AutoMark also has a feature that will greatly magnify the ballot or display the ballot high-contrast for voters that have limited visual impairment. The AutoMark can also produce an oral report to the voter as the choices selected prior to the voter printing the ballot.

For more information on the AutoMARK Voter Assist Terminal, please visit AutoMARK Video.

A voter who is blind or has vision impairments, mobility or dexterity disabilities, or other disabilities that make it difficult or impossible for them to effectively access a paper vote by mail ballot because they cannot independently read, write, hold, or physically manipulate standard print materials may request an accommodation from their local election official. The request shall be received by the local election official not later than the fourth business day before the election. Upon receiving such information from a registered voter by phone or electronically, the local election official shall make reasonable efforts to grant accommodations to the voter.

Voter Registrations

Online voter registration is available for residents with a valid Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles identification. If you do not have an ID, you may fill out a mail-in voter registration form.

Residents may register in person at the Town Clerk's office any weekday during normal business hours or online through the online voter registration system on the Secretary of the Commonwealth's website. Special voter registration hours are provided ten days before any election or Town Meeting and ten days for a Special Town Meeting from 8:30 am to 5 pm. Residents may also register to vote at any Registry of Motor Vehicles office.

In Grafton, a voter must meet the following qualifications in order to register to vote:

  • Must be a U.S. citizen
  • Must be a Grafton resident
  • Must be at least 16 years old, and understand that they must be 18 years old to be eligible to vote
  • Not under a guardianship which prohibits registering to vote
  • Not temporarily or permanently disqualified by law from voting because of corrupt practices in respect to elections
  • Not currently incarcerated for a felony conviction

Are you a college student and interested in voting? Check out the Best Colleges website for helpful information on voting while away at school.

Absentee Ballots

A registered voter may obtain an absentee ballot application online or at the Town Clerk's office. Upon receipt of the completed application, a ballot will be issued to the registered voter if she/he appears in person during normal business hours; otherwise, it will be mailed to the address indicated on the absentee ballot application. Registered voters may only apply for an absentee ballot if they:

  • Will be absent from Grafton during polling hours
  • Have a physical disability or
  • Religious beliefs prevent the voter from coming to the polls on Election Day

Read about Absentee Voting on the State Secretary's website.

If you have been admitted to a healthcare facility within 1 week of the election, you may use the absentee ballot application to designate someone of your choice to deliver a ballot to you. The person you designate to deliver your ballot will need to bring the signed application to your local election office, pick up your absentee ballot, bring it to you, and return it for you by the close of polls on Election Day. Emergency ballots may be requested up until the close of polls.

Important Information

Absentee ballots must be applied for in person by noon on the day before an election. Mail-in requests must be applied for by 5 pm on the 5th business day before an election.

All absentee ballots requested for a family member must be mailed to the voter. They may not be hand-carried to the voter, but they may be hand-carried back to the Town Clerk's office by a family member.

No witnesses are needed unless the voter is assisted. If assisted, the person doing the assisting signs the bottom of the ballot and gives the reason why. The voter returns the ballot by mail or in person to the Town Clerk.

Mail-In Ballot (early voting) applications must be applied for by 5 pm on the 5th business day before an election. Please allow time for a ballot to be mailed if not voting in person.

Red Town Clerk Drop BoxAbsentee/Mail-In ballots must be received in the Town Clerk's office, not a polling location, by the close of polls on election day.

All Mail-In Ballots and election-related documents can be returned to the designated red Town Clerk drop box located out front of Town Hall (pictured).

Early Voting dates, times and location will be published once determined.

Family Members

A family member may request an absentee ballot for another family member. This family member must be a spouse or person residing in the same household, in-laws, father, mother, sister or brother of the whole or half blood, son, daughter, adopting parent or adopted child, stepparent or stepchild, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, grandparent or grandchild.

Disabled Voters

Permanently disabled voters may obtain a note from their physician which should then be mailed to the Town Clerk/Board of Registrars to permanently request an absentee ballot application. An application for an absentee ballot will be automatically mailed to the disabled voter twenty-eight (28) days before each election. If the permanently disabled voter completes the application and requests all ballots for that calendar year be mailed to him/her, the application will not need to be mailed for each subsequent election that calendar year; a ballot will be mailed automatically. Please note that a new absentee ballot application will need to be completed each election year.

Uniformed & Overseas Citizens

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) states that any military Service member, eligible family member or overseas citizen may be eligible to vote absentee. The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) encourages Service members, their eligible family members and overseas citizens to submit a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) every January to ensure they can participate in upcoming Federal elections. The FPCA (SF-76) allows you to apply to register to vote, request an absentee ballot, and/or update your contact information with your local election office, the Grafton Town Clerk's Office. Hard copies of the form are also available at embassies and consulates, and military bases around the world.

Voting assistance for Service members, their families and Overseas citizens: